Wicklow LighthouseSurrounded by sea on three sides, Wicklow Head Lighthouse is a peace seeker’s haven with inspiring and refreshing views of the Irish Sea.
In a storm, on the night of 19th October 1836, Wicklow Head Lighthouse was struck by lightning. In the fire that followed the interior was gutted on all floors, and the lantern destroyed. It was, however, decided that the cut stone shell of the tower should be preserved, and it was recommended that a new roof be added. The present protective brick dome was added in 1866. It was taken on by the Irish Landmark Trust in 1996 and with the help of architect, Maura Shaffrey they set about conserving this historic property.
Read more in the July 2015 issue.