Lessons LearntBuying and restoring a run down old school house in Ardclough, County Kildare, proved a lengthy learning curve for Ciara and Harvey.
Built in 1810 by Lord Cloncurry, this old school was intended for the children of the growing workforce involved in the building of the Grand Canal. It was built in the classic two storey style, one classroom over another, accessible by two external doors at the gable. Over the years it had been modified into a village hall and later used as a shed to store hay.
When Ciara and Harvey bought the house back in 2005 it belonged to a painter who had restored it into a family home. Upstairs there was an open-plan living, dining, kitchen area and downstairs housed her studio and the bedrooms. She had filled it with colourful furniture and décor, the entire bathroom including the floor was painted with a striking lily mural.
Read more in the May issue…